1 cup (2 sticks) butter at room temperature
2 cups Sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Lemon Icing (recipe follows)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325˚F. Grease a 10 inch tube pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Add the lemon zest and juice.
4. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Set the pan on the center rack of the oven and back until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and the tester inserted into he center comes out clean. 1 hour and 5 minutes.
5. Cool the cake in the pan, set on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and spread on the icing at once while the cake is still hot.
1 pound powdered sugar
1 stick of butter at room temperature
3 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cut fresh lemon juice
Cream the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lemon zest and juice; spread on the warm cake.
From the Silver Palate Cookbook